Monday, October 4, 2010

Lincoln Logs

The first designed object in my life that had a lasting impact on me would have to be a set of Lincoln logs that I played with in kindergarten.  At the start of every day we would play with the Lincoln logs as a class.  The small-notched blocks of wood were simplistic in design, but they seemed to have an infinite number of combinations.   The individual blocks were mundane by themselves, but when joined with roof trusses and doors designing buildings became possible.  

This is the first time I remember using trial and error.  I would try different combinations of blocks to create different structures and forms.  Not every combination was a success and I learned from my mistakes.  Soon whole villages were popping up out of Lincoln logs.    This sparked a lifelong interest in architecture that still holds true to this day.   Interior architecture and exterior architecture were both important interests of mine growing up.  

Lincoln logs also created a sense of community in the kindergarten class.  Our teacher split us into groups, each group being responsible for a different area of the village.  Even to this day, if I have free time and a set of Lincoln logs I am combining them until I run out of logs.  The sensory reactions I had to the Lincoln logs themselves weren’t impactful.  It’s a brown piece of wood with notches on both ends.  It was the opportunity to create new objects and buildings that had my mind running with creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment